Meaning of denotation
Pronunciation: (dē"nō-tā'shun), [key]
- the explicit or direct meaning or set of meanings of a word or expression, as distinguished from the ideas or meanings associated with it or suggested by it; the association or set of associations that a word usually elicits for most speakers of a language, as distinguished from those elicited for any individual speaker because of personal experience. Cf. connotation.
- a word that names or signifies something specific: “Wind” is the denotation for air in natural motion. “Poodle” is the denotation for a certain breed of dog.
- the act or fact of denoting; indication.
- something that denotes; mark; symbol.
- the class of particulars to which a term is applicable.
- that which is represented by a sign.
- denotation (Thesaurus)