delay: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (di-lā'), [key]
- to put off to a later time; defer; postpone: The pilot delayed the flight until the weather cleared.
- to impede the process or progress of; retard; hinder: The dense fog delayed the plane's landing.
- to put off action; linger; loiter: He delayed until it was too late.
- the act of delaying; procrastination; loitering.
- an instance of being delayed: There were many delays during the train trip.
- the period or amount of time during which something is delayed: The ballet performance began after a half-hour delay.
- delay (Thesaurus)