Meaning of defensive
Pronunciation: (di-fen'siv), [key]
- serving to defend; protective: defensive armament.
- made or carried on for the purpose of resisting attack: defensive treaty; a defensive attitude.
- of or pertaining to defense.
- (of stocks, securities, etc.) The bank has put a large percentage of its assets in defensive rather than growth stocks.
- able to provide moderately steady growth with minimal risk:The bank has put a large percentage of its assets in defensive rather than growth stocks.
- considered stable and relatively safe for investment, esp. during a decline in the economy.
- excessively concerned with guarding against the real or imagined threat of criticism, injury to one's ego, or exposure of one's shortcomings.
- a position or attitude of defense: to be on the defensive about one's mistakes.
- something that serves to defend.
- defensive (Thesaurus)