Meaning of decoder
Pronunciation: (dē-kō'dur), [key]
- a person who decodes messages or the like.
- a device for decoding cryptograms, codes, or the like, as an electric or electronic apparatus that transforms arbitrary input signals into letters, words, etc.
- an electronic circuit designed to respond only to certain signals and to reject others.
- a circuit designed to produce a single output when actuated by a certain combination of inputs.
- a box attached to a television set containing circuitry to unscramble encoded signals, as cable-television programs or closed captions, so that the signals can be displayed on the screen.
- decoder (Thesaurus)