Meaning of dead end
- something, as a street or water pipe, that has no exit.
- a position that offers no hope of progress; blind alley; cul-de-sac: His theory led him to a dead end.
Pronunciation: (ded'end'), [key]
- terminating in a dead end: a dead-end street.
- having no possibility for or hope of progress, advancement, etc.: a low-level, dead-end job.
- leading a life in the slums: growing up as a tough dead-end kid.
- to come to a dead end: The road dead-ends at the lake.
- dead end (Thesaurus)