Meaning of Creole
Pronunciation: (krē'ōl), [key]
- a person born in the West Indies or Spanish America but of European, usually Spanish, ancestry.
- a person born in Louisiana but of usually French ancestry.
- (sometimes l.c.) a person of mixed black and European, esp. French or Spanish, ancestry who speaks a creolized form of French or Spanish.
- (usually l.c.) a creolized language; a pidgin that has become the native language of a speech community. Cf.
- the creolized French language of the descendants of the original settlers of Louisiana. Cf. Cajun.
- (usually l.c.)a black person born in the New World, as distinguished from one brought there from Africa.
- (sometimes l.c.) of, pertaining to, or characteristic of a Creole or Creoles.
- (usually l.c.)indicating a spicy sauce or dish made esp. with tomatoes, peppers, onions, celery, and seasonings, and often served with rice.
- (sometimes l.c.) bred or growing in a country, but of foreign origin, as an animal or plant.
- Creole (Thesaurus)