cowboy: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (kou'boi"), [key]
- a man who herds and tends cattle on a ranch, esp. in the western U.S., and who traditionally goes about most of his work on horseback.
- a man who exhibits the skills attributed to such cowboys, esp. in rodeos.
- a reckless or speedy automobile driver.
- a reckless or irresponsible person, esp. a show-off or one who undertakes a dangerous or sensitive task heedlessly: They put foreign policy in the hands of cowboys.
- (during the American Revolution) a member of a pro-British guerrilla band that operated between the American and British lines near New York City.
- to work as a cowboy.
- cowboy (Thesaurus)