Meaning of coupling
Pronunciation: (kup'ling), [key]
- the act of a person or thing that couples.
- a device for joining two rotating shafts semipermanently at their ends so as to transmit torque from one to the other. Cf. clutch1 (def. 12a).
- a part with an inside thread for connecting two pipes of the same diameter.
- a fitting at the end of a length of hose into which the end of another such length can be screwed or fitted.
- coupler (def. 3).
- the association of two circuits or systems in such a way that power may be transferred from one to the other.
- a device or expedient to ensure this.
- a short length of plumbing pipe having each end threaded on the inside.
- the part of the body between the tops of the shoulder blades and the tops of the hip joints in a dog, horse, etc.
- linkage (def. 5).
- coupling (Thesaurus)