Meaning of council
Pronunciation: (koun'sul), [key]
- an assembly of persons summoned or convened for consultation, deliberation, or advice.
- a body of persons specially designated or selected to act in an advisory, administrative, or legislative capacity: the governor's council on housing.
- (in certain British colonies or dependencies) an executive or legislative body assisting the governor.
- an ecclesiastical assembly for deciding matters of doctrine or discipline.
- the Sanhedrin or other authoritative body.
- council (Thesaurus)