could: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (kood unstressed k&schwad), [key]
- a pt. of.
- (used to express possibility): I wonder who that could be at the door. That couldn't be true.
- (used to express conditional possibility or ability): You could do it if you tried.
- (used in making polite requests): Could you open the door for me, please?
- (used in asking for permission): Could I borrow your pen?
- (used in offering suggestions or advice): You could write and ask for more information. You could at least have called me.
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.