couch: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (kouch or, for 6, 15, kch), [key]
- a piece of furniture for seating from two to four people, typically in the form of a bench with a back, sometimes having an armrest at one or each end, and partly or wholly upholstered and often fitted with springs, tailored cushions, skirts, etc.; sofa.
- a similar article of furniture, with a headrest at one end, on which some patients of psychiatrists or psychoanalysts lie while undergoing treatment.
- a bed or other place of rest; a lounge; any place used for repose.
- the lair of a wild beast.
- the frame on which barley is spread to be malted.
- the board or felt blanket on which wet pulp is laid for drying into paper sheets.
- a primer coat or layer, as of paint.
- undergoing psychiatric or psychoanalytic treatment.
- to arrange or frame (words, a sentence, etc.); put into words; express: a simple request couched in respectful language.
- to express indirectly or obscurely: the threat couched under his polite speech.
- to lower or bend down, as the head.
- to lower (a spear, lance, etc.) to a horizontal position, as for attack.
- to put or lay down, as for rest or sleep; cause to lie down.
- to lay or spread flat.
- to transfer (a sheet of pulp) from the wire to the couch.
- to embroider by couching.
- to hide; conceal.
- to lie at rest or asleep; repose; recline.
- to crouch; bend; stoop.
- to lie in ambush or in hiding; lurk.
- to lie in a heap for decomposition or fermentation, as leaves.
- couch (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.