Meaning of converter
Pronunciation: (kun-vûr'tur), [key]
- a person or thing that converts.
- a device that converts alternating current to direct current or vice versa. Cf. inverter, synchronous converter.
- a chamber or vessel through which an oxidizing blast of air is forced, as in making steel by the Bessemer process.
- decoder (def. 5).
- an auxiliary device that permits a receiver to pick up frequencies or channels for which it was not originally designed.
- a reactor for converting one kind of fuel into another kind.
- a person who is engaged in converting textile fabrics, esp. cotton cloths, from the raw state into the finished product ready for the market by bleaching, dyeing, etc.
- Also calledan additional lens attached to a lens in use on a camera to alter focal length, mounted in front of a lens to produce a wide-angle effector between the lens and the camera body to produce a telephoto effect
- converter (Thesaurus)