contour: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (kon'toor), [key]
- the outline of a figure or body; the edge or line that defines or bounds a shape or object.
- a distinctive pattern of changes in pitch, stress, or tone extending across all or part of an utterance, esp. across a sentence, and contributing to meaning.
- to mark with contour lines.
- to make or form the contour or outline of.
- to build (a road, railroad track, etc.) in conformity with the contour of the land.
- to mold or shape so as to fit a certain configuration: cars with seats that are contoured for comfort.
- molded or shaped to fit a particular contour or form: contour seats.
- of or used in a system of plowing, cultivating, sowing, etc., along the contour lines of the land in order to trap water runoff and prevent erosion.
- contour (Thesaurus)