continent: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (kon'tn-unt), [key]
- one of the main landmasses of the globe, usually reckoned as seven in number (Europe, Asia, Africa, North America, South America, Australia, and Antarctica).
- a comparable landmass on another planet.
- the mainland, as distinguished from islands or peninsulas.
- the mainland of Europe, as distinguished from the British Isles.
- a continuous tract or extent, as of land.
- something that serves as a container or boundary.
- exercising or characterized by restraint in relation to the desires or passions and esp. to sexual desires; temperate.
- able to control urinary and fecal discharge.
- containing; being a container; capacious.
- restraining or restrictive.
- continuous; forming an uninterrupted tract, as land.
- continent (Thesaurus)