compress: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (v.kum-pres'n.kom'pres), [key]
- to press together; force into less space.
- to cause to become a solid mass: to compress cotton into bales.
- to condense, shorten, or abbreviate: The book was compressed by 50 pages.
- a soft, cloth pad held in place by a bandage and used to provide pressure or to supply moisture, cold, heat, or medication.
- an apparatus for compressing cotton bales.
- a warehouse for storing cotton bales before shipment.
Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Copyright © 1997, by Random House, Inc., on Infoplease.