Meaning of commutation
Pronunciation: (kom"yu-tā'shun), [key]
- the act of substituting one thing for another; substitution; exchange.
- the changing of a prison sentence or other penalty to another less severe.
- the act of commuting, as to and from a place of work.
- the substitution of one kind of payment for another.
- the act or process of commutating.
- Also calledthe technique, esp. in phonological analysis, of substituting one linguistic item for another while keeping the surrounding elements constant, used as a means of determining the constituent units in a sequence and their contrasts with other units.
- commutation (Thesaurus)