commitment: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (ku-mit'munt), [key]
- the act of committing.
- the state of being committed.
- the act of committing, pledging, or engaging oneself.
- a pledge or promise; obligation: We have made a commitment to pay our bills on time.
- engagement; involvement: They have a sincere commitment to religion.
- perpetration or commission, as of a crime.
- consignment, as to prison.
- confinement to a mental institution or hospital: The psychiatrist recommended commitment.
- an order, as by a court or judge, confining a person to a mental institution or hospital.
- a written order of a court directing that someone be confined in prison; mittimus.
- the act of referring or entrusting to a committee for consideration.
- an agreement to buy or sell securities.
- a sale or purchase of securities.
- commitment (Thesaurus)