collection: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (ku-lek'shun), [key]
- the act of collecting.
- something that is collected; a group of objects or an amount of material accumulated in one location, esp. for some purpose or as a result of some process: a stamp collection; a collection of unclaimed hats in the checkroom; a collection of books on Churchill.
- the works of art constituting the holdings of an art museum: a history of the museum and of the collection.
- the gathered or exhibited works of a single painter, sculptor, etc.: an excellent Picasso collection.
- the various holdings of an art museum organized by category, as painting, sculpture, works on paper, photography, or film: the director of the collections.
- the clothes or other items produced by a designer, esp. for a seasonal line: the spring collection.
- a sum of money collected, esp. for charity or church use.
- act of bringing or coming into a collected attitude.
- collection (Thesaurus)