Meaning of cognizance
Pronunciation: (kog'nu-zuns, kon'u-), [key]
- awareness, realization, or knowledge; notice; perception: The guests took cognizance of the snide remark.
- judicial notice as taken by a court in dealing with a cause.
- the right of taking jurisdiction, as possessed by a court.
- acknowledgment; admission, as a plea admitting the fact alleged in the declaration.
- the range or scope of knowledge, observation, etc.: Such understanding is beyond his cognizance.
- a device by which a person or a person's servants or property can be recognized; badge.
- cognizance (Thesaurus)