Meaning of coal
Pronunciation: (kōl), [key]
- a black or dark-brown combustible mineral substance consisting of carbonized vegetable matter, used as a fuel. Cf. anthracite, bituminous coal, lignite.
- a piece of glowing, charred, or burned wood or other combustible substance.
- charcoal (def. 1).
- to repay evil with good in order to make one's enemy repent.
- to reprimand; scold: They were raked over the coals for turning out slipshod work.
- to burn to coal or charcoal.
- to provide with coal.
- to take in coal for fuel.
- coal (Thesaurus)