Meaning of cloth
Pronunciation: (klôth, kloth), [key]
— n., pl. adj. cloths
- a fabric formed by weaving, felting, etc., from wool, hair, silk, flax, cotton, or other fiber, used for garments, upholstery, and many other items.
- a piece of such a fabric for a particular purpose: an altar cloth.
- the particular attire of any profession, esp. that of the clergy. Cf. man of the cloth.
- the clergy: men of the cloth.
- one of the lengths of canvas or duck of standard width sewn side by side to form a sail, awning, or tarpaulin.
- any of various pieces of canvas or duck for reinforcing certain areas of a sail.
- a number of sails taken as a whole.
- a garment; clothing.
- of or made of cloth: She wore a cloth coat trimmed with fur.
- cloth (Thesaurus)