Meaning of cliché
Pronunciation: (klē-shā', kli-), [key]
- a trite, stereotyped expression; a sentence or phrase, usually expressing a popular or common thought or idea, that has lost originality, ingenuity, and impact by long overuse, as sadder but wiser, or strong as an ox.
- (in art, literature, drama, etc.) a trite or hackneyed plot, character development, use of color, musical expression, etc.
- anything that has become trite or commonplace through overuse.
- a stereotype or electrotype plate.
- a reproduction made in a like manner.
- trite; hackneyed; stereotyped; clichéd.
- cliche (Thesaurus)