cleavage: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (klē'vij), [key]
- the act of cleaving or splitting.
- the state of being cleft.
- the area between a woman's breasts, esp. when revealed by a low-cut neckline.
- a critical division in opinion, beliefs, interests, etc., as leading to opposition between two groups: a growing cleavage between the Conservative and Liberal wings of the party.
- the tendency of crystals, certain minerals, rocks, etc., to break in preferred directions so as to yield more or less smooth surfaces
- the total or partial division of the egg into smaller cells or blastomeres.
- Also calledthe breaking down of a molecule or compound into simpler structures.
- cleavage (Thesaurus)