cinder: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (sin'dur), [key]
- a partially or mostly burned piece of coal, wood, etc.
- any residue of combustion; ashes.
- Geol.coarse scoriae erupted by volcanoes.
- a live, flameless coal; ember.
- slag (def. 1).
- a mixture of ashes and slag.
- to spread cinders on: The highway department salted and cindered the icy roads.
- to reduce to cinders.
- to spread cinders on a surface, as a road or sidewalk: My neighbor began cindering as soon as the first snowflake fell.
- cinder (Thesaurus)