Meaning of churn
Pronunciation: (chûrn), [key]
- a container or machine in which cream or milk is agitated to make butter.
- any of various containers or machines similar in shape or action to a butter churn, as a device for mixing beverages.
- a large milk can.
- an act of churning stocks by a stockbroker.
- to agitate in order to make into butter: to churn cream.
- to make (butter) by the agitation of cream.
- to shake or agitate with violence or continued motion: The storm churned the sea.
- (of a stockbroker) to trade (a customer's securities) excessively in order to earn more in commissions.
- to operate a churn.
- to move or shake in agitation, as a liquid or any loose matter: The leaves churned along the ground.
- (of a stockbroker) to engage in the practice of churning.
- to produce mechanically, hurriedly, or routinely: He was hired to churn out verses for greeting cards.
- churn (Thesaurus)