Meaning of chimney
Pronunciation: (chim'nē), [key]
— n., pl. v., -neys, -neyed, -ney•ing.
- a structure, usually vertical, containing a passage or flue by which the smoke, gases, etc., of a fire or furnace are carried off and by means of which a draft is created.
- the part of such a structure that rises above a roof.
- the smokestack or funnel of a locomotive, steamship, etc.
- a tube, usually of glass, surrounding the flame of a lamp to promote combustion and keep the flame steady.
- the vent of a volcano.
- a narrow vertical fissure between two rock faces or in a rock formation.
- a nearly vertical cylindrical oreshoot.
- to ascend or descend (a chimney) by repeated bracing of one's feet or back and feet against opposite walls.
- to ascend or descend a chimney.
- chimney (Thesaurus)