Meaning of characteristic
Pronunciation: (kar"ik-tu-ris'tik), [key]
- pertaining to, constituting, or indicating the character or peculiar quality of a person or thing; typical; distinctive: Red and gold are the characteristic colors of autumn.
- a distinguishing feature or quality: Generosity is his chief characteristic.
- the integral part of a common logarithm. Cf. mantissa.
- the exponent of 10 in a number expressed in scientific notation.
- the smallest positive integer n such that each element of a given ring added to itself n times results in 0.
- characteristic (Thesaurus)