Meaning of certificate
Pronunciation: (n.sur-tif'i-kitv.sur-tif'i-kāt&sec), [key]
— n., v., -cat•ed, -cat•ing.
- a document serving as evidence or as written testimony, as of status, qualifications, privileges, or the truth of something.
- a document attesting to the fact that a person has completed an educational course, issued either by an institution not authorized to grant diplomas, or to a student not qualifying for a diploma.
- a statement, written and signed, which is by law made evidence of the truth of the facts stated, for all or for certain purposes.
- Seegold certificate.
- Seesilver certificate.
- to furnish with or authorize by a certificate.
- to issue an official certificate attesting to the training, aptitude, and qualification of: to certificate a teacher.
- certificate (Thesaurus)