celebrate: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (sel'u-brāt"), [key]
— v., -brat•ed, -brat•ing.
- to observe (a day) or commemorate (an event) with ceremonies or festivities: to celebrate Christmas; to celebrate the success of a new play.
- to make known publicly; proclaim: The newspaper celebrated the end of the war in red headlines.
- to praise widely or to present to widespread and favorable public notice, as through newspapers or novels: a novel celebrating the joys of marriage; the countryside celebrated in the novels of Hardy.
- to perform with appropriate rites and ceremonies; solemnize: to celebrate a marriage.
- to observe a day or commemorate an event with ceremonies or festivities.
- to perform a religious ceremony, esp. Mass or the Lord's Supper.
- to have or participate in a party, drinking spree, or uninhibited good time: You look like you were up celebrating all night.
- celebrate (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.