Meaning of cedar
Pronunciation: (sē'dur), [key]
- any of several Old World, coniferous trees of the genus Cedrus, having wide, spreading branches. Cf. cedar of Lebanon.
- any of various junipers, as the red cedar, Juniperus virginiana, of the cypress family, having reddish-brown bark and dark-blue, berrylike fruit.
- any of various other coniferous trees. Cf. incense cedar, white cedar.
- any of several trees belonging to the genus Cedrela, of the mahogany family, as the Spanish cedar.
- Also calledthe fragrant wood of any of these trees, used in furniture and as a moth repellent.
- cedar (Thesaurus)