Meaning of casualty
Pronunciation: (kazh'-ul-tē), [key]
— pl. -ties.
- a member of the armed forces lost to service through death, wounds, sickness, capture, or because his or her whereabouts or condition cannot be determined.
- casualties,loss in numerical strength through any cause, as death, wounds, sickness, capture, or desertion.
- one who is injured or killed in an accident: There were no casualties in the traffic accident.
- any person, group, thing, etc., that is harmed or destroyed as a result of some act or event: Their house was a casualty of the fire.
- a serious accident, esp. one involving bodily injury or death.
- casualty (Thesaurus)