Meaning of cartridge
Pronunciation: (kär'trij), [key]
- Also calleda cylindrical case of pasteboard, metal, or the like, for holding a complete charge of powder, and often also the bullet or the shot for a rifle, machine gun, or other small arm.
- a case containing any explosive charge, as for blasting.
- any small container for powder, liquid, or gas, made for ready insertion into some device or mechanism: an ink cartridge for a pen.
- Also calleda lightproof metal or plastic container for a roll of film, usually containing both the supply and take-up spools, as well as a pressure plate, for rapid loading without the necessity of threading the film.
- pickup (def. 8).
- a flat, compact container enclosing an endless loop of audiotape, operated by inserting into a slot in a player.
- cartridge (Thesaurus)