Meaning of capitalize
Pronunciation: (kap'i-tl-īz"), [key]
— v., -ized, -iz•ing.
- to write or print in capital letters or with an initial capital.
- to authorize a certain amount of stocks and bonds in the corporate charter of: to capitalize a corporation.
- to issue stock as a dividend, thereby capitalizing retained earnings, or as settlement of an unpaid arrearage of preferred dividends.
- to set up (expenditures) as business assets in the books of account instead of treating as expense.
- to supply with capital.
- to estimate the value of (a stock or an enterprise).
- to take advantage of; turn something to one's advantage (often fol. by on): to capitalize on one's opportunities.
- capitalize (Thesaurus)