caisson: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (kā'sun, -son), [key]
- a structure used in underwater work, consisting of an airtight chamber, open at the bottom and containing air under sufficient pressure to exclude the water.
- a boatlike structure used as a gate for a dock or the like.
- Also calledcamel, pontoon.a float for raising a sunken vessel, sunk beside the vessel, made fast to it, and then pumped out to make it buoyant.
- a watertight structure built against a damaged area of a hull to render the hull watertight; cofferdam.
- a two-wheeled wagon, used for carrying artillery ammunition.
- an ammunition chest.
- a wooden chest containing bombs or explosives, used formerly as a mine.
- coffer (def. 4).
- caisson (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.