buttress: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (bu'tris), [key]
- any external prop or support built to steady a structure by opposing its outward thrusts, esp. a projecting support built into or against the outside of a masonry wall.
- any prop or support.
- a thing shaped like a buttress, as a tree trunk with a widening base.
- a bony or horny protuberance, esp. on a horse's hoof.
- to support by a buttress; prop up.
- to give encouragement or support to (a person, plan, etc.).
- buttress (Thesaurus)