Meaning of buttery
Pronunciation: (but'u-rē), [key]
- like, containing, or spread with butter.
- resembling butter, as in smoothness or softness of texture: a vest of buttery leather.
- grossly flattering; smarmy.
Pronunciation: (but'u-rē, bu'trē), [key]
— pl. -ter•ies.
- a room or rooms in which the provisions, wines, and liquors of a household are kept; pantry; larder.
- a room in colleges, esp. at Oxford and Cambridge universities, from which articles of food and drink are sold or dispensed to the students.
- buttery (Thesaurus)