Meaning of burlesque
Pronunciation: (bur-lesk'), [key]
— n., adj., v., -lesqued, -lesquing.
- an artistic composition, esp. literary or dramatic, that, for the sake of laughter, vulgarizes lofty material or treats ordinary material with mock dignity.
- any ludicrous parody or grotesque caricature.
- a humorous and provocative stage show featuring slapstick humor, comic skits, bawdy songs, striptease acts, and a scantily clad female chorus.
- involving ludicrous or mocking treatment of a solemn subject.
- of, pertaining to, or like stage-show burlesque.
- to make ridiculous by mocking representation.
- to use caricature.
- burlesque (Thesaurus)