Meaning of Burgundy
Pronunciation: (bûr'gun-dē), [key]
— n., pl. adj. -dies
- French,a region in central France: a former kingdom, duchy, and province.
- wine, of many varieties, red and white, mostly still, full, and dry, produced in the Burgundy region.
- (often l.c.) red wine with similar characteristics made elsewhere.
- (l.c.) a grayish red-brown to dark blackish-purple color.
- Also calleda sauce made with red wine and thickened with an espagnole sauce or kneaded butter, served with eggs, meat, fish, or poultry.
- (l.c.) having the color burgundy.
- burgundy (Thesaurus)