bulkhead: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (bulk'hed"), [key]
- any of various wall-like constructions inside a vessel, as for forming watertight compartments, subdividing space, or strengthening the structure.
- a transverse partition or reinforcing frame in the body of an airplane.
- a partition built in a subterranean passage to prevent the passage of air, water, or mud.
- a retaining structure of timber, steel, or reinforced concrete, used for shore protection and in harbor works.
- a horizontal or inclined outside door over a stairway leading to a cellar.
- a boxlike structure, as on a roof, covering a stairwell or other opening.
- bulkhead (Thesaurus)