buffet: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (buf'it), [key]
— n., v., -fet•ed, -fet•ing.
- a blow, as with the hand or fist.
- a violent shock or concussion.
- to strike, as with the hand or fist.
- to strike against or push repeatedly: The wind buffeted the house.
- to contend against; battle.
- to struggle with blows of hand or fist.
- to force one's way by a fight, struggle, etc.
Pronunciation: (bu-fā', boo- or, esp. for adj., b'fāBrit.buf'it), [key]
- a sideboard or cabinet for holding china, table linen, etc.
- a meal laid out on a table or sideboard so that guests may serve themselves.
- a counter, bar, or the like, for lunch or refreshments.
- a restaurant containing such a counter or bar.
- consisting of food, refreshments, etc., laid out on tables or buffets from which guests or customers serve themselves: a buffet supper; buffet service.
- buffet (Thesaurus)