brood: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (brd), [key]
- a number of young produced or hatched at one time; a family of offspring or young.
- a breed, species, group, or kind: The museum exhibited a brood of monumental sculptures.
- to sit upon (eggs) to hatch, as a bird; incubate.
- (of a bird) to warm, protect, or cover (young) with the wings or body.
- to think or worry persistently or moodily about; ponder: He brooded the problem.
- to sit upon eggs to be hatched, as a bird.
- to dwell on a subject or to meditate with morbid persistence (usually fol. by over or on).
- to cover, loom, or seem to fill the atmosphere or scene: The haunted house on the hill brooded above the village.
- kept for breeding: a brood hen.
- brood (Thesaurus)