brittle: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (brit'l), [key]
— adj., n., v., -tler, -tlest, -tled, -tling.
- having hardness and rigidity but little tensile strength; breaking readily with a comparatively smooth fracture, as glass.
- easily damaged or destroyed; fragile; frail: a brittle marriage.
- lacking warmth, sensitivity, or compassion; aloof; self-centered: a self-possessed, cool, and rather brittle person.
- having a sharp, tense quality: a brittle tone of voice.
- unstable or impermanent; evanescent.
- a confection of melted sugar, usually with nuts, brittle when cooled: peanut brittle.
- to be or become brittle; crumble.
- brittle (Thesaurus)