The fourteen stations of the Catholic Church. These are generally called “Stations of the Cross,” and the whole series is known as the via Calvaria or via Crucis. Each station represents some item in the passage of Jesus from the Judgment Hall to Calvary, and at each station the faithful are expected to kneel and offer up a prayer in memory of the event represented by the fresco, picture, or otherwise. They are as follows:
(1) Jesus is condemned to death.
(2) Jesus is made to bear His cross.
(3) Jesus falls the first time under His cross.
(4) Jesus meets His afflicted mother.
(5) Simon the Cyrenean helps Jesus to carry His cross.
(6) Veronica wipes the face of Jesus.
(7) Jesus falls the second time.
(8) Jesus speaks to the daughters of Jerusalem.
(9) Jesus falls the third time.
(10) Jesus is stripped of His garments.
(11) Jesus is nailed to the cross.
(12) Jesus dies on the cross.
(13) Jesus is taken down from the cross.
(14) Jesus is placed in the sepulchre.