breast: Meaning and Definition of
Pronunciation: (brest), [key]
- (in bipeds) the outer, front part of the thorax, or the front part of the body from the neck to the abdomen; chest.
- the corresponding part in quadrupeds.
- either of the pair of mammae occurring on the chest in humans and having a discrete areola around the nipple, esp. the mammae of the female after puberty, which are enlarged and softened by hormonally influenced mammary-gland development and fat deposition and which secrete milk after the birth of a child: the breasts of males normally remain rudimentary.
- the part of a garment that covers the chest.
- the bosom conceived of as the center of emotion: What anger lay in his breast when he made that speech?
- a projection from a wall, as part of a chimney.
- any surface or part resembling or likened to the human breast.
- the face or heading at which the work is going on.
- the front of an open-hearth furnace.
- the clay surrounding the taphole of a cupola.
- Seebreast line.
- a rounded bow.
- to display one's grief, remorse, etc., in a loud and demonstrative manner.
- to confess everything (of which one is guilty): You'll feel better if you make a clean breast of it.
- to meet or oppose boldly; confront: As a controversial public figure he has breasted much hostile criticism.
- to contend with or advance against: The ship breasted the turbulent seas.
- to climb or climb over (a mountain, obstacle, etc.).
- to overcome, succeed against.
- to come alongside or abreast of.
- to bind (an object, as a boatswain's chair) securely under a projection, as the flare of a bow.
- to thrust (a vessel) sideways from a wharf.
- to keep (a vessel) away from a wharf by means of timbers.
- breast (Thesaurus)
Here are the facts and trivia that people are buzzing about.