Meaning of bread and butter
bread' and but'ter
- bread spread with butter.
- a basic means of support; source of livelihood; sustenance: The automobile industry is the bread and butter of many Detroiters.
Pronunciation: (bred'n but'ur), [key]
- providing a livelihood or basic source of income; supplying the basic needs of life: a bread-and-butter job; the agency's bread-and-butter account.
- of or pertaining to basic needs: housing and other bread-and-butter political issues.
- basic or everyday; staple; routine.
- expressing thanks for hospitality: a bread-and-butter letter.