Meaning of borough
Pronunciation: (bûr'ō, bur'ō), [key]
- (in certain states of the U.S.) an incorporated municipality smaller than a city.
- one of the five administrative divisions of New York City.
- an urban community incorporated by royal charter, similar to an incorporated city or municipality in the U.S.
- a town, area, or constituency represented by a Member of Parliament.
- (formerly) a fortified town organized as and having some of the powers of an independent country.
- (in Alaska) an administrative division similar to a county in other states.
- borough (Thesaurus)