blue chip: Meaning and Definition of
- a blue-colored chip of high value.
- a common stock issued by a major company that has financial strength, stability against fluctuations, and a good record of dividend payments: regarded as a low-risk investment.
- a secure and valuable item or property held in reserve: The airfield was a blue chip in the struggle for military supremacy.
Pronunciation: (bl'chip"), [key]
- of, pertaining to, or constituting a blue chip.
- having outstanding or exemplary qualities within a specified category; leading: a group of blue-chip scientists; blue-chip stock.