Meaning of bloat
Pronunciation: (blōt), [key]
- to expand or distend, as with air, water, etc.; cause to swell: Overeating bloated their bellies.
- to puff up; make vain or conceited: The promotion has bloated his ego to an alarming degree.
- to cure (fishes) as bloaters.
- to become swollen; be puffed out or dilated: The carcass started to bloat.
- Also called(in cattle, sheep, and horses) a distention of the rumen or paunch or of the large colon by gases of fermentation, caused by eating ravenously of green forage, esp. legumes.
- a person or thing that is bloated.
- bloater (defs. 1, 2).
- bloat (Thesaurus)