Meaning of binary
Pronunciation: (bī'nu-rē, -ner-ē), [key]
— adj., n., pl. -ries.
- consisting of, indicating, or involving two.
- of or pertaining to a system of numerical notation to the base 2, in which each place of a number, expressed as 0 or 1, corresponds to a power of 2. The decimal number 58 appears as 111010 in binary notation, since 58 = 1 × 25 + 1 × 24 + 1 × 23 + 0 × 22 + 1 × 21 + 0 × 20.
- of or pertaining to the digits or numbers used in binary notation.
- of or pertaining to a binary system.
- (of an operation) assigning a third quantity to two given quantities, as in the addition of two numbers.
- noting a compound containing only two elements or groups, as sodium chloride, methyl bromide, or methyl hydroxide.
- (of an alloy) having two principal constituents.
- a whole composed of two.
- Also calleda number expressed in the binary system of notation.
- binary (Thesaurus)