Meaning of Bill of Rights
Bill' of Rights'
- a formal statement of the fundamental rights of the people of the United States, incorporated in the Constitution as Amendments 1–10, and in all state constitutions.
- (sometimes l.c.) a similar statement of the fundamental rights of the people of any nation.
- (sometimes l.c.) a statement of the rights belonging to or sought by any group: Our student bill of rights would include the right to dress as we please.
- an English statute of 1689 confirming, with minor changes, the Declaration of Rights, declaring the rights and liberties of the subjects and settling the succession in William III and Mary II.
- Bill of Rights (Thesaurus)